CARR’s Populism Research Unit (PRU)
About the PRU:
The CARR Populism Research Unit features international experts whose research examines the ‘rise’ of populist radical right parties in Western Europe (Switzerland, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Germany and the United Kingdom) alongside Central-Eastern Europe (Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine & Georgia), Northern Europe (Norway & Sweden) and the Balkans region (Montenegro).
The CARR PRU is also available for media commentary alongside consultancy relating to topics that examine populism, the radical right and the ‘mainstreaming effect’ of radical right discourse in European and Global Politics. Please contact the PRU Head Dr. James F. Downes for any media and consultancy related PRU enquiries.
Brief Description of PRU Head:
- Lead team of 15+ International researchers in the field of Populism
- CARR PRU “Right Rising” Podcast Series: Populism in Europe: Hosted and produced frequent Podcast Episodes with specialist country experts on Populism
- Lead and co-organized the CARR Populism Research Unit/Ideology Research Unit (PRU-IRU) 2021 Mini-Conference
- Media engagement with external stakeholders and international media outlets
- Collaborate on research projects within the Populism Research Unit: CARR PRU Report 2021: “The Partisan Pandemic: Radical Right Strategies during COVID-19”
Current PRU Projects (2021):
(1) CARR PRU “Right Rising” Podcast Series: Populism in Europe
(2) CARR PRU-IRU Mini-Conference: “Populism & Ideologies in Times of Crisis: (Joint Collaboration with the CARR IRU) (3rd- 4th June, 2021)
(3) CARR PRU Report 2021: “The Partisan Pandemic: Radical Right Strategies during COVID-19” (TBA)