Associate Professor of Media and Communication, University of Leicester.
Specialist Research Areas: Radical Right and Environmental Issues, Ideology, German Speaking World, Movements
Dr Bernhard Forchtner is a specialist on (environmental) communication by the radical right in Europe with a particular focus on German speaking radical right actors. He has written widely on these subjects.
Dr Forchtner is the author and editor of books, special issues and more than 30 articles or academic book chapters. The latter include pieces on radical right parties and non-party actors on climate change across Europe as well as the social media use of German neo-Nazis. An edited volume entitled The Far Right and the Environment: Politics, Discourse and Communication will be published in 2019.
Specialist research areas:
Environmental communication by the radical right (climate change, biodiversity, sustainable energy sources, etc.) in past and present; radical right parties and movements, their ideology and practices; radical right online / offline patterns of communication, especially in the German-speaking world.
Available for consultation in the following areas:
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses and workshops; policy formation / reports; third sector / charity engagement; live / pre-recorded media interviews (including print, online, radio and television); editorials
Latest posts authored by Dr Bernhard Forchtner
- Art, Nature and the Exclusion of the Alien November 6, 2020
- Star Trek vs. the Radical Right: Visions of a Better World November 2, 2020
- Eco-fascism ‘proper’: the curious case of Greenline Front June 25, 2020
- ‘Make ecology right again’: Reading radical right eco-publications June 12, 2020
- Fighting ‘the Great Replacement’ in 2020: an Identitarian road trip to Greece and back March 16, 2020
- Images of a ‘better’ world? Fictional storytelling in the radical-right (Part I) February 25, 2020
- ‘Protect the Environment!’ – Environmental Campaigning by the Radical Right Alternative for Germany December 23, 2019
- Something new under the sun? The Alternative for Germany’s recent discussion of climate change and homeland protection September 26, 2019
- Eco-fascism encountered: the natural environment in justifications of terrorist violence in the Christchurch mosque shooting and the El Paso shooting August 21, 2019
- Rethinking the ‘Green wave’? Climate change, the European Parliament elections 2019 and the German-speaking radical right June 13, 2019