Researcher, Wits Centre for Diversity Studies (University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg). Associate Editor, International Journal of Critical Diversity Studies.
Specialist Research Areas: Anti-Gender Movement, Coloniality, Critical Diversity Studies, South Africa
Haley McEwen is a nationally rated researcher in South Africa (National Research Foundation). She holds a PhD in Sociology (University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg), an MPhil in Diversity Studies (University of Cape Town), and a BA in Social Relations (Michigan State University). Haley is currently a researcher at the Wits Centre for Diversity Studies. She is also Associate Editor of the International Journal for Critical Diversity Studies. Haley has published articles in numerous scholarly journals, including Agenda, Ethnic and Racial Studies, Critical Philosophy of Race, and Critical African Studies.
Dr. McEwen’s research takes a decolonial approach to understanding the ‘knowledge politics’ that inform ways of knowing gender and sexuality diversity locally, regionally, and globally. Her research takes critical historical and geopolitical approaches to analysis of epistemologies of difference, particularly in relation to constructions of gender, sexuality, and race. Her doctoral, and ongoing research, focuses on international anti-gender activism with a particular focus on the growth of the pro-family movement in African contexts.
Specialist research areas:
Anti-gender/pro-family movement; transnational politics of gender and sexuality; knowledge politics of sexuality, race and gender; radical right knowledge production and discourse; intersectionality of white supremacy and heteropatriarchy; white ethnonationalism in South Africa; white ethnonationalism in South Africa and its transatlantic connections to US based white supremacist ideology and discourse
Available for consultation in the following areas:
Research, media interviews (print, online, radio and television), policy development, editorials
Latest posts authored by Dr Haley McEwen
- Anti-Gender Mobilization At The World Health Assembly November 12, 2021
- Is It Possible To Reason With Anti-Genderists? August 31, 2021
- South African radical-right groups are mobilising against anti-LGBTQI+ campaigns July 9, 2021
- Global white supremacy cult: How the South African Radical Right bolsters US extremism March 4, 2021
- Raising awareness about the Global Anti-Gender Movement December 18, 2020
- The Trump Administration Targets Critical Race Theory October 29, 2020
- The ‘Rainbow Nation’ is not immune to anti-gender activism: Attacks on queer bodies and knowledge in South Africa August 12, 2020