Ico Maly is associate professor at Tilburg University (The Netherlands) and editor-in-chief of Diggit Magazine. He teaches Digital Media & Politics, Digital Ethnography, The hybrid media system and online writing and Social groups in the digital World. His recent research focuses on contemporary new right activism, new right ideology politics and digital media. He is connected to the city of Rotterdam as an expert in Far Right radicalisation.
His recent publications are:
- Maly, I. (2020). Metapolitical New Right Influencers: The Case of Brittany Pettibone.Social Sciences, Special Issue: The Global Rise of extreme-right
- Maly, I. (2020). Algorithmic Populism And The Datafication And Gamification Of The People By Flemish Interest In Belgium. Trab. linguist. apl. vol.59 no.1 Campinas Jan./Apr. 2020 Epub May 22, 2020
- Maly, I. (2020). The coronavirus, the attention economy and far-right junk newsDiggit Magazine.
- Maly, I (2019) Charlie Kirk’s Culture War, Groypers, Nickers and Q&A trolling.Diggit Magazine.
- Maly, I (2019). New Right Metapolitics and the algorithmic activism of Schild and Vrienden.Social Media + Society.
- Maly, I. (2019). White terrorism, white genocide and metapolitics 2.0.Diggit Magazine.
- Maly, I. (2018). Algorithmic populism and algorithmic activism.Diggit Magazine.
- Maly, I. (2018). Populism as a mediatized communicative relation: The birth of algorithmic populism. TPCS working paper 213
He is a member of InCoLaS and the editorial board of Trabalhos em Linguística Aplicada.
Maly wrote several Dutch books including Nieuw Rechts (New Right, Epo, 2018), De Hedendaagse Antiverlichting (Contemporary anti-Enlightenment, Epo, 2018) and Superdiversiteit in Oostende (Kif Kif, 2014), N-VA | Analyse van een politieke ideologie (N-VA | Analysis of a political ideology) (EPO, 2012) and De Beschavingsmachine Wij en de islam. (The Civilization Machine. We and the Islam) (EPO, 2009). Together with Jan Blommaert and Joachim Ben Yakoub he wrote Superdiversiteit en democratie (Superdiversity & Democracy) (EPO, 2014). He also edited the award winning work Cultu(u)rENpolitiek. Over media, globalisering en culturele identiteiten. (Culture and Politics. About media, globalization and cultural identities.) (Garant, 2007).
More information on his publications can be found on:
His university page: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/nl/medewerkers/i-e-l-maly
His academia page: https://tilburguniversity.academia.edu/IcoMaly
You can also follow him on Twitter (@IcoMaly)
Specialist research areas:
Contemporary new right activism (Identitarianism, alt-right, Groypers, …) | radical right politicians and parties | the use of digital media and digital culture | nationalism | discourse analysis and digital ethnography, (super)diversity and identity | (algorithmic) populism and activism, Politics | New Media | Democracy | Radical Enlightenment | Anti-Enlightenment | Migration | Hipsters | Micro-populations | Culture | Human Rights | Guillaume Faye | La Nouvelle Droite | Metapolitics
Available for consultation in the following areas:
Rise of the radical right, populism, identitarianism
Available for media interviews and columns