Associate Director, CARR. Associate Fellow, GNET Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Leeds.
Specialist Research Areas: UK Radical Right, Anti-Islam Protest Movements, Cumulative Extremism, Policy Responses, Radical Right Social Movements
As Associate Director, William is responsible for helping guide the strategic direction of CARR (including CARR Research Projects), editing on Senior and Practitioner and Policy Fellow blog posts, maintaining CARR's FRGB dataset, co-supervising interns and helping with the day-to-day management of the Centre.
Dr William Allchorn is a specialist on anti-Islamic protest movements and radical right social movements in the UK and Western Europe. His PhD thesis mapped political, policing and local authority responses to the English Defence League in five UK locations. William has recently finished his first academic monograph with Routledge – looking at policy responses to the EDL and Britain First over the past decade. His previous published work has looked at the dynamics of activism within anti-Islam movements and counter-extremism responses towards such groups. William has taught undergraduate courses and given lectures on the radical right in Western Europe; both at the social movement and party political level. Previous consultancy has included delivering counter narrative engagement sessions in the North East of England and putting together a ‘Countering Radical Right Narratives’ educational pack. As of April 2019, William Allchorn is the Associate Director of CARR.
Specialist research areas:
UK Radical Right, Anti-Islam Protest Movements, Cumulative Extremism, Policy Responses, Radical Right Social Movements, Islamophobia, and the Political, Social and Criminal Consequences of Radical Right Extremism.
Available for Consultancy in the following areas:
Counter-Narrative Educational Initiatives, Policy Formation / Reports; Government Consultancy; Consultancy on Regional and Local Level Responses to Radical Right Extremism.
Latest posts authored by Dr William Allchorn
- *UPDATED* CARR FAR-RIGHT MOBILISATIONS IN GREAT BRITAIN (FRGB DATASET) 2009-2020 March 8, 2021
- CARR REPORT: FAR-RIGHT MOBILISATIONS IN GREAT BRITAIN (FRGB DATASET) 2009-2019 November 19, 2020
- Right Rising Podcast (Season One, Episode Six): The QAnon Conspiracy and Momfluencers November 6, 2020
- Right Rising Podcast (Season One, Episode Five): Incel Culture and Deplatforming
- Protected: CARR Online Security Guide (October 2020) October 20, 2020
- FRGB Dataset Contact Form October 16, 2020
- Right Rising Podcast (Season One, Episode Four): Populism in Italy A Deep Dive October 6, 2020
- Right Rising Podcast (Season One, Episode Three): Understanding Populism During COVID-19 September 29, 2020
- Right Rising Podcast (Season One, Episode Two): What Exactly is the “Radical Right”? September 17, 2020
- UNC Dataset Contact Form September 9, 2020