Adjunct Professor of Political Science, University of Zurich.
Specialist Research Areas: Islamophobia, Populism, Nativism, Globalisation, Right-Wing Populism
Professor Hans-Georg Betz is a leading expert on populism and the radical right in affluent liberal democracies. He has written several seminal books and articles on radical right-wing populism, nativism, and Islamophobia. He currently serves as an adjunct professor in the institute of political science at the University of Zürich where he teaches advanced courses on populism and globalization. Before coming to Switzerland, he taught at York University in Toronto, The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) in Washington, DC, and the Loyola University Rome Center in Italy. He also held a joint visiting chair at Columbia University/New York University in New York City. He currently lives near Lausanne in the French part of Switzerland.
Hans-Georg Betz has written extensively on populism, the radical right, and nativism, both past and contemporary. Among his main publications are Radical Right-Wing Populism in Western Europe (1994), La droite populiste en Europe Extrême ou démocrate? (2004) as well as a number of articles in leading political science journals, such as Comparative Politics, Comparative Political Studies, The Review of Politics, and Socio-Economic Review. He has also contributed chapters to collected volumes on the subject, most recently to The Oxford Handbook of the Radical Right (2018) and Political Populism: A Handbook (2017).
Specialist research areas:
Islamophobia, Populism, the Radical Right, and Nativism, both past and contemporary.
Latest posts authored by Professor Hans-Georg Betz
- Today’s Anti-Asian Bigotry Has Deep Roots In American History April 7, 2021
- Trumpism After Trump: The Wrong Person at the Right Time? March 3, 2021
- Beware! Populism in Conjunction with Conspiracy Theories Might be Bad for Your Health (Part 3) February 3, 2021
- Beware! Populism in Conjunction with Conspiracy Theories Might be Bad for Your Health (Part 2) February 2, 2021
- Beware! Populism in Conjunction with Conspiracy Theories Might be Bad for Your Health (Part 1) February 1, 2021
- Trump Leaves America Most Divided In Modern History January 25, 2021
- Trump’s Exploitation Of Christianity And Assault On Women’s Rights January 19, 2021
- Live Free or Die: America vs. Science January 14, 2021
- German Football for the “Real” Germans December 21, 2020
- What Happens To Radical Right-Wing Populism After Trump? December 14, 2020